While many people know exact details about their heritage, I am a person who knows very little. My dad thinks his side of the family is primarily Irish and German, but my mom has no idea besides that we have a tad of Native American. Despite the lack of information about my cultural heritage, I do still have influences from my religion, my family, and other things that I am involved in.
I have grown up as a christian in a baptist church for as long as I can remember. When I was little, we went to church every Sunday morning and Wednesday night like clock-work. I always had a positive connection to church because I had a lot of friends there, the teachers were always nice, and I liked the activities that we would do. As I got older, my main friend group in school all went to a different church and I decided to check it out. I fell in love with the atmosphere and ideas that this church had compared to my own and I knew I wanted to become a member there. My family tried it with me and they felt the same way, too. This church is where I was baptized, where I made my best friends in middle and high school, and where I found the core values and beliefs that I still hold today. These values are not only religious-based, but are pieces of advice that I have been given from my preacher, parents of friends in the church, and members that I don't even have a formal connection with. I still use these values and look back on them in every day situations because they helped shape me into who I am, so why not still use them to build future success? In middle school and high school my activity pattern revolved around school, school work, my job, and church. I was heavily involved in my youth group, because basically all of my friends were in it too, so every Wednesday night and the weekends were spent there. Once I went to college my activity pattern changed drastically. I was not at home during the week to go to Wednesday night service, I was hardly home on the weekends to go to church on Sundays, and my friends were often not home on the same weekend either. The priority of church became less important in my life because it did not fit in with my schedule and I was not in my same environment. Despite this, I still held onto those values taught to me by my church family and friends and I still do today. Now that I live at home for grad school, my activity pattern changed again, and I have time to go to church again. While it is not the same because I am no longer in youth group and a lot of my friends have not moved back home, it is still comforting to be in the same environment that I have such good memories in.
Overall, influences from my religion and values from my friends and family at church have helped shape me into who I am today. I will always have the fondest of memories of my time in youth group and I am still friends with many of the members. While I may not have a large amount of knowledge about my individual culture, I feel like my experience with my religion and the people involved have had enough of a lasting impact.
Comments
Post a Comment